Sunday, December 30, 2012

The James Loop

Richmond, VA. James River trail loop/ Buttermilk, North Bank, Belle island.  1:15. I knew the trail loop along the James River would be 6+ miles, but it was even longer than I thought.  I took off from the Pump River Parking lot, right next to the nickel bridge.  Its pretty easy with the trail head being right there in the parking lot.  Heading East to Byrd Park, I was able to catch up with the trail again after heading through the neighborhood.  Its only about 1/4 of a mile of road, so no big deal with my Minimus shoes.  I was excited about getting back to the trail though, cause the wind was whipping around, making the already cold air, a lot cooler.  With the wet weather we have had lately, the trail was a little damp and slippery at times.  I told it slow, just a jogging pace.  Taking the suspension bridge across to Belle Island, I started to pick up the pace, as I knew this would be the last flat section before the ups and downs of the buttermilk trail.  Once I hit the trail on the other side, it was a consistent up and down terrain.  No long climbs or descents but certainly enough variation to change the pace back and forth.  I certainly didn't mind, as this was kind of a tune up run to the 10+ miler I'm doing on New Years.  I just wanted to get some trail distance in today.  I finished up with the Nickel Bridge, heading right back to the car.  I met up with a Ultra Running group that I had already passed once on the trail. Nice guys.  We chatted the whole rest of the way back to the car.  Exchanging information at the parking lot, they were telling me about all the races and events they do.  As my legs start to feel better I may be joining on some of the longer runs they do.  

Happy New Year everyone!!  I have some pretty big goals for 2013.  I hope everyone else is gearing up for a great year and great running.  TFR -w

No comments:

Post a Comment