Monday, December 24, 2012

Three lost runs...

I have three blog post to catch up on. I separated them by date. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and runs well during the holiday break.

12/21/12 Richmond VA.  :45 Cary Street VCU Gym.  As soon as I left work, I couldn't stop thinking about the two runs that I had in front of me.  Excited because they were planned training sessions, that I knew would produce great results if done right.  The first was back at the gym.  30 mins hill workout on the treadmill, followed by 15 mins speed work around the 1/8 mile track (indoors).  Warming up for 10 mins, I had the treadmill pegged at a steep incline for the last 20 minutes.  It was a great burn.   Immediately following that 30 minutes I headed over to the track for some race pace (half-marathon) repeats.  One lap easy, one lap race pace.  The laps were so short that it felt like a great way to introduce speed work to my workouts.  Towards the end of the 15 mins, I had completed 10 race pace laps completely by feel, no watch for splits.  Overall it was a great workout, and nothing that I had done before.  Considering the time of year, it was a great way to do some speed work.  I recommend not using a watch and just going based on feel.  Eventually I want to get a few 800m repeats on an outdoor track, before the race in April.

12/22/12 Richmond VA.  1:36 10.5+ mi Loop/ Road and Trails.  I could not wait for this run!!  For weeks I planned this loop, including road and all the great trails in downtown Richmond.  Buttermilk, Belle Island, and North Bank would all be on the menu.  I invited a friend "Captain" Will Johnson.  Former Army solider, he was just as excited to do his first longest run....ever!  We started the run early, 7am.  Cold and a little windy we headed down Boulevard into Maymont Park where we jumped on and across the Nickel Bridge.  From there we followed the single track trail of Buttermilk towards Belle Island.  Keeping the pace easy, we were talking the whole way.  Most likely an 8min pace through the first 7 miles.  Once we hit the North Bank trail the up and down running started to take a toll on my legs.  Along with the speed work the day before, I started to tire a bit.  The "Capt" was barely breaking a sweat.  We finished the loop catching back up with the Nickel bridge.  I didn't realize going out that the run would finish with the up hill trek back up to the middle of Maymont.  It was probably only a half mile, but to my legs it felt like 2 miles.  Finally reaching the top, we headed straight back to the house.  The pace picked up just a bit, but we were both aware of just the short distance we had left.  This was a great route, and certainly one I will be repeating very soon.  My goal is to do this run twice a week and a longer one on the weekends.  Obviously day light savings time will be needed for this.  Can't wait.  I wore my new Minimus 110s.  They have a little more support and cushion than the trail shoes, but still a Minimus shoe.

12/24/12 Virginia Beach, VA  :55  6+ mi Seashore Park Trails.   Down in VB for Christmas with my family, Jaclyn and I have been staying at the condo.  In my home town it wouldn't be right if I didn't run in my favorite park.  I drove down to the 64th street entrance.  You don't have to pay if you park here, and there are more trails to choose from.  I think if you live in VB you should be able to use the park for free (but thats another type of blog post all together).  I decide to head out on the osprey trail, near the water.  Haven't been down this way in a while and saw that there was alot of downed trees and debris from the storm (Sandy).  I kept the pace easy.  Wearing my New Balance Minimus M10 Trails shoes, I wanted to stretch my legs out from the long run just two days ago.  The plan was to see how my legs felt at the 2.5 mi mark, where the trail splits.  Feeling bad I would have headed back down the long creek trail back to the car, but I was feeling rather good and just loved being back in this park.  I went out to the white fish trail, which eventually loops back to the main trail (Cape Henry) and back to the car.  Total I think the run was over 6 miles and I think I was gone for about :55 mins.  I used the car clock to guess the time.  Another great run.  I'm thinking of waking up early tomorrow (Christmas Day) and doing another 4 mi loop before heading over to the parents and opening gifts.  We will be traveling back to Richmond, so thats really the only time I have for a run.  I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.  Run happy.  TFR -w

No comments:

Post a Comment